Information contained on this page is provided by an independent third-party content provider. WorldNow and this Station make no warranties or representations in connection therewith. If you have any questions or comments about this page please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
SOURCE Bankrate, Inc.
NEW YORK, Jan. 23, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Mortgage rates posted modest movement this week, with the benchmark 30-year fixed mortgage rate inching lower 4.56 percent, according to Bankrate.com's weekly national survey. The average 30-year fixed mortgage has an average of 0.33 discount and origination points.
To see mortgage rates in your area, go to http://www.bankrate.com/funnel/mortgages/.
The average 15-year fixed mortgage dipped to 3.61 percent, and the larger jumbo 30-year fixed mortgage slipped to 4.63 percent. Adjustable rate mortgages were higher, with the average 5-year ARM rising to 3.42 percent and the 7-year ARM climbing to 3.77 percent.
Mortgage rates were quiet this week, but the Fed may disturb the peace of borrowers when it meets next week. If the Fed continues to pull back their bond purchases throughout 2014, which is expected, a steady movement toward higher mortgage rates is likely to happen over the next several months.
On May 1, 2013, the average 30-year fixed mortgage rate was 3.52 percent. At that time, a $200,000 loan would have carried a monthly payment of $900.32. With the average rate currently at 4.56 percent, the monthly payment for the same size loan would be $1,020.51, a difference of $120 per month for anyone that waited too long.
30-year fixed: 4.56% -- down from 4.57% last week (avg. points: 0.33)
15-year fixed: 3.61% -- down from 3.62% last week (avg. points: 0.23)
5/1 ARM: 3.42% -- down from 3.40% last week (avg. points: 0.26)
Bankrate's national weekly mortgage survey is conducted each Wednesday from data provided by the top 10 banks and thrifts in the top 10 markets.
For a full analysis of this week's move in mortgage rates, go to http://www.bankrate.com/.
The survey is complemented by Bankrate's weekly Rate Trend Index, in which a panel of mortgage experts predicts which way the rates are headed over the next seven days. The majority of panelists, 62 percent, expect mortgage rates to remain more or less unchanged, while the remaining 38 percent predict that rates will rise in the next week.
For the full mortgage Rate Trend Index, go to http://www.bankrate.com/news/rate-trends/mortgage.aspx.
To download the Bankrate Mortgage Calculator & Mortgage Rates iPhone App 2.0 go to
About Bankrate, Inc.
Bankrate is a leading publisher, aggregator, and distributor of personal finance content on the Internet. Bankrate provides consumers with proprietary, fully researched, comprehensive, independent and objective personal finance editorial content across multiple vertical categories including mortgages, deposits, insurance, credit cards, and other categories, such as retirement, automobile loans, and taxes. The Bankrate network includes Bankrate.com, our flagship website, and other owned and operated personal finance websites, including CreditCards.com, Interest.com, Bankaholic.com, Mortgage-calc.com, CreditCardGuide.com, Nationwide Card Services, InsuranceQuotes.com, CarInsuranceQuotes.com, InsureMe, Bankrate.com.cn, CreditCards.ca, NetQuote.com, and CD.com. Bankrate aggregates rate information from over 4,800 institutions on more than 300 financial products. With coverage of nearly 600 local markets in all 50 U.S. states, Bankrate generates over 172,000 distinct rate tables capturing on average over three million pieces of information daily. Bankrate develops and provides web services to over 80 co-branded websites with online partners, including some of the most trusted and frequently visited personal finance sites on the Internet such as Yahoo!, AOL, CNBC, and Bloomberg. In addition, Bankrate licenses editorial content to over 500 newspapers on a daily basis including The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, and The Boston Globe.
For more information contact:
Senior Director, Corporate Communications
©2012 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved.