Fire & Smoke Inhalation Cause Death of Riverside Couple. - Siouxland News - KMEG 14 and FOX 44

Fire & Smoke Inhalation Cause Death of Riverside Couple.

Posted:
SIOUX CITY, IA -

New details have developed on the deaths of two people found inside a home in the Riverside neighborhood of Sioux City.

It appears that sometime during the night or early morning a fire broke out at the home in the 1200 block of Wright Avenue.
Authorities have confirmed that Steve and Susan Smid, both 58 years old, were found in their home early this morning by a family member, who later alerted authorities.

The couple is believed to have died from smoke inhalation and no foul play is not suspected at this time.

Investigations also showed that the fire started in the kitchen on top of the stove and spread from there.

Family, friends and neighbors are in mourning tonight after learning of the sad death of one Riverside couple.

Neighbors tell us the 58–year–olds were both active community members.

Mrs. Smid worked as a music teacher at Liberty Elementary and Mr. Smid worked in the Operations and Maintenance department of the school district.

"Sue and Steve were such good people," said Lori Thiele, a neighbor. "I just don't understand why and how this could have happened. But they were good people...I don't know what else to say... I just..."

Neighbors and friends say the death of the friendly couple is surprising and that they will be sorely missed in this community.

"It's very much a shock-- very shocked. I didn't know anything happened until I seen all the vehicles and things. I didn't see nothing. I didn't see no smoke or anything, so I don't know what happened to them. It's just sad, very sad," said neighbor Linda Fowler.

Units were dispatched and arrived at the scene of the one–story home on 1210 Wright Avenue just before 8:30 a.m. this morning, where they discovered the two fire fatalities...

The state fire marshal assisted the investigations, leading to several conclusions.

"Smoke alarms were found in the home. It's unclear--there was one smoke alarm in the hallway. It's unclear at this time if that one was operational," said Sioux City Fire Marshal Mark Aesoph.

The one functional alarm found in the basement wouldn't have been triggered or alerted the couple.

Officials want to remind everyone to check your smoke alarms. If you suspect it isn't working or you're having any difficulty, call the Fire Department for assistance.

And always have an exit plan in case of a fire or emergency.


Powered by WorldNow

Siouxland News
100 Gold Circle
Dakota Dunes, SD 57049

Main Phone: 712-277-3554
Main Fax: 712-255-5250
Email: webmaster@siouxlandnews.com

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2009 WorldNow and Sinclair Communications, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.