Child Saves Apartment Complex - Siouxland News - KMEG 14 and FOX 44

Child Saves Apartment Complex

SIOUX CITY, IA -

A 3 year old's quick action may have saved lives and a local apartment complex.

This afternoon a fire started in this Riverview apartment.

The only adult at home was in the shower and didn't notice the fire until her child knocked on the door to tell her something was wrong.

They both got out safely and the mother called 911.

When crews arrived they found the fire was already contained.

"The best thing is, the 3 year old knocked on the door, and they were able to get out safely.  nobody was injured and that was the key to this thing. another great thing was when the occupant left the apartment she shut the door behind her, which, the fire burned up all the oxygen in the apartment, and it actually self extinguished," said Jesse Pedersen with Sioux City Fire Rescue.

Pedersen says the smoke detector in the apartment was not working when crews got there.

Powered by WorldNow

Siouxland News
100 Gold Circle
Dakota Dunes, SD 57049

Main Phone: 712-277-3554
Main Fax: 712-255-5250
Email: webmaster@siouxlandnews.com

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2009 WorldNow and Sinclair Communications, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.