- Can the facility meet my or my loved one's needs?
- Does it have a current state license?
- Does it accept Medicare and/or Medicaid?
- What problems were identified during the last survey or inspection? (A copy of the home's last inspection should be posted or available in the home.)
- Are the residents treated with dignity?
- Is the home clean and odor free?
- Is there an ombudsman who visits regularly?
- Talk to residents and family members. What comments do they have?
Try to visit several homes or facilities, more than once if possible, and at different times. You'll be able to see how staff interacts with residents at meal times and during afternoon or evening hours.
For a more complete checklist, contact your local Area Agency on Aging or the Missouri Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program at 1-800-309-3282 .